Signs and Symptoms
- Fever that comes on suddenly (101 to 104 F)
- Muscle aches
- Nonproductive cough
- Sore throat
- Sneezing, runny nose, stuffy nose
- Loss of appetite
- Nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea, especially in children
Influenza is caused by viruses that are spread through the air by sneezes and coughs. Some of these viruses cause a very mild illness, or none at all. Others cause serious, widespread illness.
People most likely to get influenza are those whose immune systems are not working properly (for example, transplant recipients or people with HIV), or those whose lifestyle or work brings them into frequent contact with sick people (like health care workers).
The following put you at greatest risk for complications from influenza:
- Age over 50
- Having a serious underlying medical condition like diabetes, heart disease, lung disease (such as asthma
or cystic fibrosis), or kidney disease
- Having a weakened immune system
Your health care provider will probably be able to diagnose your case of flu from a physical examination and a description of your symptoms. He or she may take a chest X ray if there is concern about complications such
- Drink a lot of water
- Rest to restore your energy and avoid complications like pneumonia.
- Eat a diet rich in fresh fruits and vegetables. These foods provide lots of antioxidants (substances that may help boost your immune system), especially vitamins A and C.
- Exercise regularly, which may diminish your chances of getting the flu.
- Minimize your stress and your reaction to stress. Consider yoga, tai chi, or other forms of relaxation on an ongoing basis. Stress can put you at increased risk for viruses like influenza.
Suggested Nutritional Supplementation
- Flu Terminator - Ten drops several times daily
Broad Spectrum homeopathic remedy for influenza
- Andrographis Plus® - 2 tablets every two hours for 12 hours with unchilled water. Then take 1 tablet 3
times daily between meals for five days.
Andrographis Plus combines a proprietary blend of Ayurvedic and Asian herbs designed to promote healthy immune function.
- ImmuCoreTM - 3 tablets daily
ImmuCore is designed to provide a multiple mechanistic approach to support healthy immune system function through enhancing activities of macrophages, natural killer cells, and T cell subsets.
- NAC-600 - 1 tablet 2 to 3 times daily
- Ultra Flora Plus® DF Capsules - 2 capsuls 3 times daily
Ultra Flora Plus DF Capsules is a is a non-dairy probiotic formula that provides highly viable, pure strains of Lactobacillus acidophilus (NCFM® strain) and Bifidobacterium lactis along with supportive factors.If Diarrhea:
- Florastor® - 2 capsules twice daily.